Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Conversation with Ka-Man Tse

Untitled, © Ka-Man Tse

This week we bring you a conversation with Ka-Man Tse, whose work captures random and sometimes insignificant moments in life.

James and Cynthia, © Ka-Man Tse

Nymphoto: Tell us a little about yourself?

Ka-Man Tse
: I was born the youngest daughter of three, I was supposed to be a boy, but alas! What can I say? Currently I am trying to live the life of a morning person but I was born to be nocturnal. I blame it on being born in Hong Kong, and having to live my life in opposite time, but it's New York or bust.

Untitled, © Ka-Man Tse

NP
: How did you discover photography?

KMT
: In high school, over the summer between 9th and 10th grade. It was a bet, a joke, the way the best things are. But the first camera I used was a point-and-shoot. That's a pretty far of a walk from 4x5 land, but there is definitely that moment when you say to yourself, I want more from my negatives, more from my photographs. Nowadays I am turning back, and just the people to be able to move and speak. make noise.

Untitled, © Ka-Man Tse

Untitled, © Ka-Man Tse

NP: Where do you find inspiration?

KMT
: In the public realm, on the street, between people, from memories, through stories, and because I missed it when it happened... Anything that references another sense other than the one we take for granted. I'm either a hater trapped in the body of a romantic or a romantic trapped in the body of a hater.

Untitled, © Ka-Man Tse

Dave and Stephen, © Ka-Man Tse

NP
: How do your projects come about?

KMT: They usually come from within, or from a story, mixed with a little heat, sugar, salt, and acid. So I would say birthday parties, and subway rides, and tales told by my elders.

Styrofoam Peanuts, © Ka-Man Tse

Karaoke, © Ka-Man Tse

NP: What’s next?

KMT: A short film where everyone is the main character.

NP: There is much more to see at Ka-Man's website at http://www.tsewhat.com. Thank you!

No comments: